How much energy...?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

How much energy...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spioradsaor
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: How much energy...? Reply with quote

Does a bird like a goldfinch use/need to fly from the ground to a branch in a tree..ten feet high. (No imponderables like wind etc...just from ground to tree....

Daft question, but I want to know, or can anyone point me to where I can find out.

Thanks in anticipation Shocked
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you would even begin to work this out.

There have been a number of papers published on energy expenditure of bird flight, but the only ones I've seen refer to level flight over extended periods - in other words, migration. The results are inferred by weighing trapped birds at each end of their journey (or at feeding stops) and measuring how much body fat they've lost.

I don't think this would work for your goldfinch, since he's only flying for a couple of seconds.

You could try reading THIS PAPER, (pdf) which might give some insights. (Note: it is extremely boring.)

-Wlw.
spioradsaor
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that..........The reason for the question is that the wee lassie next door is doing a project in physics...and wanted to try and base it on something different....So she came up with this......

Maybe she should base it on acceleration or something.... Shocked

Thanks again. i'll have a wee read.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spioradsaor wrote:
Maybe she should base it on acceleration or something.... Shocked

When I was at school (years and years and years ago, this was) my chosen experiment was to see how often a glass marble, dropped from a measured height onto a tiled floor, would bounce before coming to rest.

The apparatus was set up, careful notes were taken, the marley fell...

... and smashed into a million pieces on impact.

End of experiment. Scientific conclusion: glass is more fragile than it looks. Crying or Very sad

-Wlw.
wuthered
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had an experiment which was to measure the atmospheric pressure using a column of water, rather than the more normal mercury. This meant we had to construct a vertical glass tube 3 stories high suspended over the top bannister of a spiral staircase. To do this we acquired every piece of glass tubing in the school and connected them together with rubber tubing. (I can imagine you are getting ahead of me in this story) We successfully constructed the column and each pupil then stepped forward to suck as much water up the column as possible before passing it to the next person. It was on my turn that the whole contraption disintegrated with broken glass flying in all directions, to the great delight of everyone except our physics teacher. But I have always understood atmospheric pressure since that day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Birds and the Bees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: