Mega Event 2010
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Mega Event 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasman2857

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackieC wrote:
Count me in as a volunteer too. Its about time I made it to an event! Rolling Eyes

When I read the early posts about venue, my first thought was .... Lanark! Smile

The cattle auction doubles as an events venue, and has parking for 500 cars. But I've got no idea about camping facilities etc.

Just a thought, Stirling will be great. Very Happy

JackieC

There's a campsite to the north not too far from the mart but don't think its that big.

There's always the old racecourse of course - they used to hold events there but not for some years.

Still tend to favour Stirling if only for the proximity to the highlands
Gasman2857

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoarab wrote:
Well there are a few places around about the Stirling area, C said what about the Dunblane Hydro!

I also found this while surfing the web http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/hire/corpevents/stirling-castle/great-hall.htm

I wondered about that - I know a few people who have been to functions there and they recommend it. Bet it costs a bit though.

Are there any large group facilities at Bannockburn?
Deceangi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Firth of Forth"]
Us 4 and Jess wrote:
Just a suggestion. It seems to me that the turnout at this years Mega event shows that the community is big enough to have more than one a year. While it probably would not be something for 2009 it might make sense to look at having 2 in 2010. Perhaps one in late spring and one in late summer. Two different themes and locations.
This is only a suggestion because I think you guys can easily support two such events a year. I think you might find a large amount of cachers would go to both every year. Its too late now to plan the one in late spring. But if started now there is more than enough time for a 2010 spring Mega event

The quality of this years event and the attendance shows that the community has the man power to support 2 events.
Just an idea to consider

Oh just copied the above from Michael on UK forums

Not sure if I like having smae ideas as Yanks tho Laughing

Mandy Very Happy

Bad Girl Mandy Shocked go and stand in a corner and say 1000 times I will not insult Scottish Cachers of a US origin, and will learn to use a spell checker Twisted Evil Razz

Quote:
Ummm...as a Yank and a Brit...... Wink

But...I don't think the UK geocaching community is big enough to have two of these hugely time-consuming events a year.

Having seen the huge workload the committee put in, I'd say we'd be blessed if there was enough people in the UK to form 2 committees in any one year.

Oh and Sally you had to spoil the image that you were 100% Scotch Surprised but we forgive you Razz

Edited to add

Bad boy Dave Sad go and stand in the corner for being cheeky to Sally [Mandy doesn't count Razz ] and wait there until the new Scottish Reviewer is chosen and comes on-board Very Happy
Mrs I

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasman2857 wrote:
Geoarab wrote:
Well there are a few places around about the Stirling area, C said what about the Dunblane Hydro!

I also found this while surfing the web http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/hire/corpevents/stirling-castle/great-hall.htm

I wondered about that - I know a few people who have been to functions there and they recommend it. Bet it costs a bit though.

Are there any large group facilities at Bannockburn?

There is the King Robert Hotel, nothing to look at from the outside, but apparently they do weddings. Have never been in, so have no idea about it at all, just knew it was there as I drive past it on the way into work of a morning.

http://www.kingroberthotel.co.uk/
Team Clova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count us in to help out/become part of the committee as well if someone more local can take the reins and take this forward.

Looking at campsites etc- is there no scout jamboree type campsites in the Stirling area?
Geoarab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The King Robert Hotel is nice but it would't be big enough for 500+ people. As for camping, just a thought, seen as the camping for Harrogate was about 30mins from the mega well if a Scottish mega was to be in Stirling the camping could be as far as Perth away - only 30 mins down the motorway! - Just a thought though! Don'tknow There are numerous other ideas though.
Gasman2857

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair number of campsites fairly close by.....

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results.asp?region=Scotland&county=Stirlingshire
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:

But...I don't think the UK geocaching community is big enough to have two of these hugely time-consuming events a year.

I agree I know I wouldn't be able to afford to go to two a year.

I must say I had a chuckle at the Bannockburn idea. It would be good to pull that off. I also like the idea of the castle, now that would be one to remember.
beefy4605

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One memorable event organised well or two events with the best people spread out ,split up and competing against each other?
You don't have to think about it for a long time do you.

While Stirling sounds a great location (it is - I've stayed there pre geocaching) and I'm not knocking it the trick may be to hold it somewhere south of the Glasgow Edinburgh line .
This would mean the English Welsh contingent would not feel as if they were to far out of their "comfort zone" Laughing and won't be that far from Ireland for the Irish contingent to make an excursion across as well.
As an idea somewhere in the Lockerbie Dumfries Gretna area.
Venue's or campsites I have no idea - its just my idea.
Take it run with it or toss it aside - no offence taken or intended.

What ever is decided I'll do my best to help out in some way.
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stirling would be my choice, it's central and is served with good transport links. I've sure Stirling would have the capacity to deal with a thousand(?) mad cachers descending on it for a weekend.

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk
Mrs I

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to get ahead of ourselves here, but just out of nosiness had a look to around to see if you can hire out Stirling Castle. You can however it only takes 300 people Sad
JackieC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs I wrote:
Not wanting to get ahead of ourselves here.....

Again, I'm jumping the gun here suggesting a venue but I thought it is worth consideration.

The Caledonian auction mart in Stirling is about to close and a new purpose built facility will open in Summer 2009 on the A84, close to the Dobies garden centre.

Now I know it doesn't sound at all glamorous, but the whole centre can be hired, it will have lots of parking and meeting space, there won't be any livestock there.

See http://www.elphinstone.com/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=493&sID=1283 for a schematic.

As its a new facility there is little/no chance of it being booked already (unlike most hotels who get booked years in advance for weddings on the Saturdays in June/July/August) and it will be cheaper to book than a hotel.

Just a thought. Feel free to laugh/ignore/shoot down in flames Laughing

JackieC

PS In case you're wondering why I mentioned two auction marts in this thread, its because I visit them for my work.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beefy, I can understand your suggestion and it has some good merits. However to organise such an event, it needs to be right on our doorstep. That far south has few or no cachers at all, and would be a logistical nightmare to organise.

JackieC, I've not looked at you link but that is a good suggestion.

Before we get as far as really deciding a location we have to do 2 things first. Organise a committee and work out how we are going to fund it. Until this is done, we really are just smoking the pipe in the dream.
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most logical way forward is to bring together Scottish cachers that have experience in organising events, thus forming a committee.
I know that there are others with skills that could focus on certain aspects of such an event.

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk
Brave Defender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobite wrote:
The most logical way forward is to bring together Scottish cachers that have experience in organising events, thus forming a committee.
I know that there are others with skills that could focus on certain aspects of such an event.

Are the cachers who have the experience willing to step up to the plate?
Can anyone suggest a fairly central point to hold a meeting.
I could more than likely get the use of the TA centre in Grangemouth for a meeting!
The sooner we start the sooner we can figure how to best fund the event.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: