Registry error on install SMC contour v2 maps in MapSource
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Registry error on install SMC contour v2 maps in MapSource

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djouce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Registry error on install SMC contour v2 maps in MapSource Reply with quote

I keep getting a registry error when I try to install SMC contour v2 maps in MapSource (version 6.14.1 – latest version as of 30/07/08)

“There is a problem with the Product Contours V2 installation.
“Please re-install Product Contours V2 and start MapSource again”

File contours v2.reg is in the folder C:\Program Files\Garmin\contours v2
I am following the instructions in [url]http://www.paulmac.force9.co.uk/geo/index.html [/url]

To restart MapSource, I have to remove the registry entry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Products\Contours v2

I am using Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP3
My GPS is Garmin etrex Vista HCX

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Registry error on install SMC contour v2 maps in MapSour Reply with quote

djouce wrote:
To restart MapSource, I have to remove the registry entry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Products\Contours v2

Something not quite right. I would expect the registry key to appear in...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\

Please check this and we'll try to help from there.

-Wlw
djouce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Registry Code Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry my mistake registry entry is in fact

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\

as you suggested.

MapSource is not part of the folder path on C drive though.
Is this significant?

Any other ideas? Thanks
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Registry Code Reply with quote

djouce wrote:
MapSource is not part of the folder path on C drive though. Is this significant?

No. If Mapsource works correctly with other Garmin products (eg: City Navigator, Metroguide) but NOT with Contours V2 then the issue lies with the installation of Contours V2.

The problem can be caused by one of the following:

1) Contours installed in the wrong folder. On Windoze XP, this should always be... C:\Program Files\Garmin\Contours V2

2) Files missing in the above folder. There should be various data files with the extension .img, also ContoursV2.TDB, ContoursV2.img

3) Some people don't realise that the downloaded zip archive has to be unzipped into this folder. Just copying the zip file as downloaded does not work.

4) One or more data files (.img) is missing.* This is the most common problem. ALL the files available on the SMC website should be downloaded and installed - even if you are not interested in all areas of the country.

5) It also possible to break Mapsource when trying to run its data out of a networked (remote) directory, where the client does not have correct file access permissions. This is an unusual scenario and probably does not affect home users.

Check (4) & (1) first, then the others.

Hth

-Wlw

* It IS possible to remove data files to modify how ContoursV2 works, but this requires the index to be rebuilt, which is for advanced students only.
djouce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Contours Installation Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. Problem solved by copying from a friends PC.
None of 1 to 5 apply, I think. So the cause of the problem will remain a mystery.
Dales

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Registry entries - Contours installation Reply with quote

The cause of the problem seems to be Garmin in their latest version of Mapsource. Apparently their registry keys for 'product' now have to be a number (ie now 132) rather than a name (ie previously Contours v2).

So those good chaps at the SMC have amended the registry entries file (available on their download site under V2Essentials). Simply download, unzip and run the new Contours v2 Registration Entries file.

Alternatively, if you're confident, do the alteration yourself in regedit, so it reads HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\132

Dales.
djouce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Registry Entries - Contours Installation Reply with quote

Thanks, Dales. That seems to have fixed it for me.
TurnerTech

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Registry Error Reply with quote

I was so pleased when I found this posting.

I had been tearing my hair out digging deeper and deeper holes in my mapping software.

I am so grateful for the solution which resolved the problem in seconds thanks those smart guys in the SMC.

In case anybody needs to know, I am now running on a Vista based machine, using the City Navigator NT 2009 maps with the latest Mapsource 6.14.1.

I have to say that I am not impressed by the latest MapSource which is very slow compared with previous versions even on a fast dual core processor machine.

Keep up the good work.

TurnerTech
Happy Humphrey

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem tonight but solved it in five minutes thanks to Dales' post; thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> SMC contour maps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: