which one ?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

which one ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennedy77777

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: which one ? Reply with quote

when we started geocaching I bought the very simple Garmin e trex, but now we have decided that we all enjoy geocaching we have decided for our 100th find we would treat our self to a new GPS, we would like a GPS with a colour map, but there is so many out there we don@t know what one to Get.

my Question what one would you recommend ?and which one do you use?

Thanks
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin etrex Vista C. I love it. It is cache friendly with cache icons on the map, and colour maps etc.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: which one ? Reply with quote

kennedy77777 wrote:
my Question what one would you recommend ?and which one do you use?

It's probably helpful to jot down a list of what you want to use the device for (as well as geocaching) and, from that, compile a list of the features you would like to have as standard.

For example: If you want large screen for in-car navigation, then maybe the PDA type is best - but they tend to be a bit fragile for hiking/caching use.

If you do long upland walks, then battery life becomes an issue - but maybe you'd like the compass/altimeter function included on more expensive handhelds.

How much weather will your unit be exposed to? eTrex models are excellent in our moist climate - some others are not.

But all of this is really just shopping.

My best advice is always: have a budget and stick to it - you can end up paying much more than you intended, else.

-Wlw
Big Wolf
Founder member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now a firm convert to paperless caching and find the gps in my mio ok for telling you where you are on memory map but no use when you get down to 40m to go as it updates the co-ords too slowly.

Currently use a 3 year old garmin vista C and a Mio P560 for the paperless part (which it is fantastic at).

Sound advice from WWL re setting a budget as you could spend a fortune if you don't!
The Rose & The Thistl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Map CSX, which was a gift, and I love it. Also use it for in car sat nav which works well (my Mum always said if you turned me round twice I'd be lost!)

I've had it for just over a year and I'm still finding little features, which to be honest are probably a bit a frivolous. Only thing I did do, was buy a bigger memory card (for about £6) and download all the maps for the UK, so hopefully I'll never be lost again (unless I forget to pack batteries Rolling Eyes )
klossner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rose & The Thistl wrote:
(my Mum always said if you turned me round twice I'd be lost!)
In my week of driving in Scotland, I've gone around a few roundabouts two or three times trying to figure out where to go. The Garmin 60CSx says "take roundabout to third exit" but it's hard to count them when whizzing around and choosing a lane.
so hopefully I'll never be lost again (unless I forget to pack batteries)
Get the auto power cord. When I'm in the car, my 60CSx draws power from the cigarette lighter outlet. This saves hugely on batteries and lets me navigate even when the batteries are dead.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klossner wrote:
In my week of driving in Scotland, I've gone around a few roundabouts two or three times trying to figure out where to go. The Garmin 60CSx says "take roundabout to third exit" but it's hard to count them when whizzing around and choosing a lane.

If you think that is bad, you should try the magic roundabout in Swindon, England.

I used to love seeing Mrs HH's face everytime I went round it the wrong way. Twisted Evil
Yes, you are allowed to go round it any way you like!!
Scotsbob
Founder member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, went round something like that down in that area (not sure if it was that one or not) but it left me feeling confused and feeling very lucky when I got off it without causing an accident or getting killed.

I reckon Garmin Legend hcx is a good choice (I've got the earlier cx version)

Last edited by Scotsbob on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
klossner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: ambulances? Reply with quote

I think I have most of Scottish driving figured out, but I'm stymied by this one:

When an ambulance comes toward me with blue lights flashing and sirens screaming, what am I, a driver, supposed to do? In America, I pull over onto the shoulder at the side of a road, but in e.g. downtown Edinburgh, there's no way to get out of the lane.
dunk090

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so hopefully I'll never be lost again (unless I forget to pack batteries Rolling Eyes )

You can use the USB cable that your Garmin came with and plug that into one of those cigarette lighter/power thingies that has a USB socket on the back. I think I've got a spare one knocking around if you want to try it? Unless you were joking about the batteries Laughing
dunk090

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:

If you think that is bad, you should try the magic roundabout in Swindon, England.

The olds moved to Swindon a few years back and the whole place is full of bl Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad dy roundabouts. My tip for the Magic Roundabout is to aim for your exit and put your foot down Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ambulances? Reply with quote

klossner wrote:
I think I have most of Scottish driving figured out, but I'm stymied by this one:

When an ambulance comes toward me with blue lights flashing and sirens screaming, what am I, a driver, supposed to do? In America, I pull over onto the shoulder at the side of a road, but in e.g. downtown Edinburgh, there's no way to get out of the lane.

First of all you have to realise that most roads in UK cities and towns came about a couple of hundred years ago, or more in some cases.

I don't know the exact highway code ruling, but you have to make way for an emergency vehicle at the first safe possible chance you get. But in reality if you can get your vehicle to the side of the road, so that it can pass safely you do so as fast and as safely as you can.
shampog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ambulances? Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
klossner wrote:

First of all you have to realise that most roads in UK cities and towns came about a couple of hundred years ago, or more in some cases.

I don't know the exact highway code ruling, but you have to make way for an emergency vehicle at the first safe possible chance you get. But in reality if you can get your vehicle to the side of the road, so that it can pass safely you do so as fast and as safely as you can.

Agreed....

Shift over as much of a tad as you can to assist free passage.

That said, its a pointless excercise on behalf of the 999 driver if they can see that there is nowhere for anyone to bail out to and should thus modify their approach accordingly...

(says he, the recently retired veteran of many a 999 de-buckle run through a crowded street.... Laughing )
The Rose & The Thistl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunk090 wrote:
You can use the USB cable that your Garmin came with and plug that into one of those cigarette lighter/power thingies that has a USB socket on the back. I think I've got a spare one knocking around if you want to try it?

Yes Please! Hadn't heard of that before - what a darn good idea!

Cheers Very Happy
dunk090

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunk090 wrote:
You can use the USB cable that your Garmin came with and plug that into one of those cigarette lighter/power thingies that has a USB socket on the back. I think I've got a spare one knocking around if you want to try it?

Yes Please! Hadn't heard of that before - what a darn good idea!

Cheers Very Happy

Ok, I'll have a rummage and let you know when I've found it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: