Caches along a Route
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Caches along a Route

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Caches along a Route Reply with quote

I have done this a few times before, but I cannot get it to work this time. Creating the route in google earth is fine and uploading it is fine, too. But every time I try to create a pocket query, I get a g.com error message. This has been over the course of several days. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I noticed that it's possible to 'Create GPX of Route' and open it with GSAK, but I'm not sure what this does.

Can anyone help?
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. I have given up with the g.com caches along a route PQ as it continually forwarded me to an error page.

I have, however, discovered that along with all the other brilliant things that GSAK does, you can use a .kml file derived from google earth in GSAK to get caches along a route. Brilliant!
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:
I have, however, discovered that along with all the other brilliant things that GSAK does, you can use a .kml file derived from google earth in GSAK to get caches along a route. Brilliant!

Is that a new feature?

I hadn't heard of it before.

-Wwl
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's new, I just haven't used GSAK to its full potential. And I'm sure that there are still more things that it can do that I don't know about.

Once you have saved the .kml file from google earth, use the filter "Arc/poly" tab. Tick 'points' rather than polygon or arc and then 'Get points from a file' > 'select file', choose the .kml file you have saved, and away you go.

Obviously you need a cache database to apply this to that covers the general area of the route.
Acronema

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I managed to create a route in Google Earth which I uploaded into g.com. My first attempt failed and I got the error message you talk about, but I tried again a day or so later (paying more attention to following their instructions rather than winging it in my usual fashion) and it worked fine.

Once you have uploaded a route into g.com you can opt to make it public as well as using it for generating PQs. I have not tried since, and it maybe that the system is a bit flakey while they are ironing out any wrinkles.

BTW If you have a long route going through geocaching hotspots then you might want to break it into chunks so that the PQ does not get full.

Interesting to read about the GSAK utility, this will be quicker if you already have the caches for the area you are interested in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: