The Truth is out there?
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

The Truth is out there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Twigger
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: The Truth is out there? Reply with quote

More "finds" while out bagging War Cry at Loch Sloy this weekend.

These metal "buttons" which were about 12cm in diameter (big buttons!) were in top of every second pillar on the dam, and dotted around on the rocks near the base.

What are they?

Naefearjustbeer
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a set of giggling pins, these will be conected to the galavanting shafts which in turn............. err damm lost my thought process. G night all Very Happy
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are ground anchors. I'm not sure where Loch Sloy is, but its dam is certainly made of prestressed concrete...

The "buttons" conceal the top fitting - probably a large hex nut, with two conical plates underneath. From this runs a long steel cable (it would probably be carbon fibre today) which reaches far down into the bedrock under the dam. The cables are under tension when concrete is poured round them, making for a very stable overall structure.

It looks like the surrounding rock got similar treatment, to stop it buckling under the transmitted load from the dam.

The truth WAS out there - but now it's in here. Smile

-Wlw.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When first looking at the top left picture, I thought you had taken a picture of an aircraft wreckage. It isn't until you look at it properly that you realise that it is the dam.

Wlw wrote:
It looks like the surrounding rock got similar treatment, to stop it buckling under the transmitted load from the dam.

Would these ones still have the concrete around them or will they just be the cables?
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis Hunter wrote:
Would these ones still have the concrete around them or will they just be the cables?

I think the drill holes would be filled with concrete. This is known as "grout" - it's main purpose is to stop water getting at the cable, which would corrode it.

Somewhere, there is a wee man whose job it is to visit the dam at intervals and visually inspect each and every one of these things. If there's a gap between the cap and that ring of cement below it, it means that the tie has stretched - because it's been subject to forces beyond the pre-stress load.

If one is found, it can probably be reinforced. If a whole lot are found in this condition, it means that the reservoir is about to become an enormous flush toilet.

-Wlw.
(Note: the reason I know about this is that I used to work for a bunch of people who built dams - when they were doing any work at all, which wasn't often.)
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wlw wrote:
(Note: the reason I know about this is that I used to work for a bunch of people who built dams - when they were doing any work at all, which wasn't often.)

I wouldn't worry about explaining how you know, the fact is that you know, and you don't put it into rocket science talk.
That's what makes knowledge different amongst people, being able to know how to explain it.
Some people despite their vast amount of knowledge aren't capable of that small attribute.

Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As George MacDonald Fraser points out, the problem with this sort of knowledge is that you can't make any money with it.

Like GMF, I know how many bricks there are in the Empire State Building; who won the Formula One world championship in 1958; and what cards Wild Bill Hickock was holding when he was shot.

All this information, and its like, is completely useless.

-Wlw.

[1] Approx 10,000,000
[2] Mike Hawthorn
[3] Two pair, Aces and Eights.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General rambling(s) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: