Geocache Navigator for Nokia phones
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Geocache Navigator for Nokia phones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCheekyMonkeys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Geocache Navigator for Nokia phones Reply with quote

I've started to use Geocache Navigator ( www.geocachenavigator.com ) with my Nokia N95 and it seems pretty good and i have found all my attempted caches so far.

Does anyone think it's pretty good/bad? I think i will be doing loads more caches and wonder if i'd be better with a more common device?

Thanks.

Gus
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at my friends N95 last week, it looks like a really good phone with loads of bells and whistles. He doesn't cache, so couldn't comment on the phones performance as a GPS unit.
Gus, does the N95 with the software you're using allow you to change the postion format, like we talked about yesterday?

I know that battery life is an issue with other phones, but my friend told me that the N95 has great battery life. How long does the battery last whilst using it as a GPS?

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk
TheCheekyMonkeys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hya,

yes the Geocachenavigator software did let me change to the correct format as you suggested. It was right there in the main menu.

I'm not sure about the battery life; I know the previous firmware had problems with battery life but since i upgraded my firmware it hasn't been a problem. Although i havn't really put it through it's paces, but overall i dont find myself having to charge it daily or anything stupid like that.

The best thing for me is it integrates fully with GC.com and does live searches for caches around the area i'm in or searches based on where i'm going. It also does full backgrounds with streetmap etc. which are vector based so thin on GPRS.

You don't need intergrated GPS, it works off B/T too. You just need a Symbian S60v3 phone.
Oh and it's free Wink

I'd be happy to show you sometime if you're interested.

Take it easy.

G
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
Hya,

yes the Geocachenavigator software did let me change to the correct format as you suggested. It was right there in the main menu.

I'm not sure about the battery life; I know the previous firmware had problems with battery life but since i upgraded my firmware it hasn't been a problem. Although i havn't really put it through it's paces, but overall i dont find myself having to charge it daily or anything stupid like that.

The best thing for me is it integrates fully with GC.com and does live searches for caches around the area i'm in or searches based on where i'm going. It also does full backgrounds with streetmap etc. which are vector based so thin on GPRS.

You don't need intergrated GPS, it works off B/T too. You just need a Symbian S60v3 phone.
Oh and it's free Wink

I'd be happy to show you sometime if you're interested.

Take it easy.

G

Aye, I'll have a look at it sometime, it sounds like a goodie.

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk
beefy4605

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a N95 as well and so far have done all my caching with it . I use tom tom in it as well and have a bluetooth gps receiver that i use as well as I find (think) it gives a better fix.
i use the geocache navigator as well and find it a good setup and am well pleased with it.
Battery life could be a problem - constant running of the gps will drain the battery in about 3 hours if your lucky so its probably not the best for a 3 day trek in the hills unless you have an unlimited supply of batteries and an emergengy charger.I keep mine topped up with a car charger when on the road between caches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> GPS nuts & bolts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: