Easy first-to-find
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Easy first-to-find

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Easy first-to-find Reply with quote

Would you claim a first-to-find, if you'd accompanied the owner when the cache was hidden?

Would you falsify the date of your find, hoping that no-one would notice?

I wouldn't.

But one of Ireland's leading cachers has no such scruples.

Sad fellow... Sad

-Wlw.
Firth of Forth
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Scottish cacher who had a similar dilemma. He/she accompanied the cache setter when a number of caches were placed, but didn't log the find until a few other cachers had found it. So, the ftf prize was available for others, but as the logbook wasn't signed, it puzzled others when the cache was subsequently logged.
Haggis Hunter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather not go with the person, you certainly wouldn't have the self achievment of finding it.

It is of course different if you turn up and the owner is hiding in the undergrowth waiting for you, and then subsequently extracts the urine when you are struggling to find it.

Now that isn't nice either, wouldn't get me doing it. Liar Liar Liar

Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firth of Forth wrote:
There's a Scottish cacher who had a similar dilemma. He/she accompanied the cache setter when a number of caches were placed, but didn't log the find until a few other cachers had found it. So, the ftf prize was available for others, but as the logbook wasn't signed, it puzzled others when the cache was subsequently logged.

That's certainly a more ethical way of dealing with it.

In the case I had in mind, the person who logged the cache had posted in advance (in another forum) that he was going to the location. This post was subsequently deleted.

He was there on the day that the cache was hidden, but logged the find with today's date (15/11) - at 08.15 hrs in the morning! A geocoin which had been moved (to one of his own caches, 130km away) was also logged with the same date.

In the final analysis, of course, he deceives no-one but himself.

-Wlw.
Mrs I

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Firth of Forth wrote:

That's certainly a more ethical way of dealing with it.

We found one like this, we knew someone had logged a visit before us, but when we got to the box, the log book was bare. Made us wonder if they had been there at all.
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildlifewriter wrote:
In the case I had in mind, the person who logged the cache had posted in advance (in another forum) that he was going to the location. This post was subsequently deleted.

A correction: I've been advised that the post in question was not deleted - it was moved to a members-only section of the site. (Since I'm no longer a member, I couldn't see it.)

This does not mitigate the intention to deceive, though, as illustrated by the discrepancy in dates.

-Wlw.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Geocaching, more or less All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: