prblem loading contour maps to etrex hcx
Geo- for grown-ups

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

prblem loading contour maps to etrex hcx

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: prblem loading contour maps to etrex hcx Reply with quote

I have a problem loading maps onto my new etrex legend hcx, when i connect to the computer and try to send, i get a message saying that my gps doesnt support map transfer, can anyone help?
klossner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this unit myself, but from the Owner's Manual, it appears that it doesn't come with a microSD card for map storage; you must buy one yourself and install it. Have you done so?
deek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I have and i think it is a problem with the computer not detecting the memory card, as when i take the card out, the unit works fine, when i put it in it seems to freeze the unit,not had time to have another play with it, but do you have any suggestions re: the card?

thanks for your help
Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deek wrote:
yes I have and i think it is a problem with the computer not detecting the memory card, as when i take the card out, the unit works fine, when i put it in it seems to freeze the unit,not had time to have another play with it, but do you have any suggestions re: the card?

thanks for your help

One thing to check is that the card isn't write-protected. If that's OK, then the card may need to be formatted before use, if it's a new one. If your PC has a card reader connected (and you have an adapter for MicroSD) then you can install maps directly to this, which is often faster than going through the eTrex USB interface anyway.

-Wlw
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildlifewriter wrote:

One thing to check is that the card isn't write-protected.

-Wlw

Had this very probem with a new card bought for ARAAHP's new PDA, flicked the write-protection off and all was well.

www.jacobitecaching.co.uk
deek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think the card is write protected, and i have just formatted it, when i connect the unit to the laptop it is now detecting the micro card, but will still not allow me to send the maps, it says there is an error communicating with the device. I have a card reader, could you tell me how to save the maps directly to the memory card please.

perhaps i should mention that i have a version of mapsource that i got from err somewhere that has a european metro guide v6 on it, could it be a problem with that?

thank you
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I send files to the card using the reader is, stick the card in the reader, go to "my computer", select the drive letter of the reader, then copy and paste the files into the card.

Another thing to try is, connect the device to the pc, then reboot, and see if it's detected that way. I've got to connect this way in order to transfer file to GPS.

Hope this helps.

deek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for being a bit on the 'slow ' side, i'm no computer wizard, but do you mean copy all of the img files out of the garmin contours folder?

thank you
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deek wrote:
sorry for being a bit on the 'slow ' side, i'm no computer wizard, but do you mean copy all of the img files out of the garmin contours folder?

thank you

I couldn't tell you which files to copy and paste as I've got an older venture, and have never copied these files myself. Maybe someone with a fancy new GPS like yours would be able to tell you which files to copy over.
I'm sure there's someone here that would be able to tell you which ones to copy and paste?

Wildlifewriter
Founder member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deek wrote:

Heavens, no - don't do that.

Mapsource creates one large file which includes all selected maps (see my how-to guide on how to select multiple products in Mapsource). This also includes an index to the map database(s) and all other required info.

Copying the IMG files will not produce the desired result.

Things to do:

1) It sounds like you may have a version of Mapsource from Ye Olden Days. Check 'help > about' in Mapsource to find out - you need V6.12.4 or later. If necessary, follow this link and download the latest version from Garmin's website...

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Install this.

2) Run Mapsource again. When it had finished compiling the maps, your unit should display and be available for transfer. If it isn't, try restarting Mapsource again, but with the memory card in the reader, not the GPSr.

Newer versions of Mapsource 'know' about card readers, and handle them correctly.

Card should appear as a disk drive letter, such as H: or J: (or something - it depends on your PC configuration).

If none of this works, come back to the forum and we'll see where you go from there.

-Wlw
deek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok folks i seem to be making progress, but only a bit !, I have tried it on my computer at work in the card reader, at first it didnt pick the card up, but when trying it in another usb port it did, I then put the card back into the gps, selected interface mode and then mapsource detected the card, i managed to transfer two maps and then the new problems arrived.
the unit seems to take ages loading the base map (a drawing message appears), as per the guidance when the map finally loaded i clicked the menu button and then 'setup map' and then the 'i' button, no contour maps are listed to select and if i return to the map display page it is blank and then takes ages to load again.
just to rule out a faulty card, a colleague is bringing a card in to work tomorrow and I will try again. to me it seems like the gps is not interfacing with the memory card, any more ideas are more than welcome. thank you
deek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy to report that after trying a new memory card this morning, no problems whatsoever, maps transferred easily and without a hitch.

thanks to everyone for your help, and congratulations to the maps creator for the excellent maps.

once again thank you
Jacobite
Founder member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear to got it sorted, deek Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> SMC contour maps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: